Change Your PCS and Travel Game with AFI’s Motorhome Insurance
This year has been a rough one! For most military families, we spent months in our house social distancing, while others were stuck in a hotel during the extended "PCS limbo."
We dreamed of travel, of a change of pace, and of the open road, but in reality, were stuck on a couch with "hurry up and wait" running through our minds. All the while, our streaming service kept asking us if we were still there. Yes! Where else can we go?
Unusual times call for creative solutions, and we are thrilled to offer you one you may not have considered yet. It's the freedom and flexibility of a motorhome or travel trailer (campers, pop-ups, and fifth wheels). And if you already own one, do you have it insured and know why you should?
The Adventure of a Home on Wheels
There are three ways that a motorhome or travel trailer can change your life. They include: safer socially distanced travel opportunities, PCSing on your own terms, and a money-saving lifestyle.
Let’s look at all three in more detail, and then discuss your options to protect your asset.
- Travel. In the time of Covid-19, many of our traditional vacation plans have had to change. Military families still desire to explore, hit the sun and surf at the beach, or escape to the woods for some fresh air and solitude. The idea of a crowded theme park or resort isn’t as appealing as it once was, so it’s time to get creative. Being able to take your family on the open road for an adventure in a motorhome or travel trailer secures your loved ones in one place that you aren’t sharing with thousands of strangers.
- PCS. For a CONUS move, your family has the freedom to drive from your old duty station to your new one on your own timetable, while exploring sights along the way. You aren’t confined to a hotel in the middle of nowhere, and can easily hit state and national parks (many of them give free access to the military) without having to unpack and repack. You can avoid crowded airports and enjoy an adventure together, in familiar surroundings, that feels more like a vacation than a PCS.
- Lifestyle. This is a pretty cool fact that you may not be aware of! Some military families decide to pocket their BAH and live in an RV park on or near the base. It’s a great way to save up cash to either pay down debt or establish a nest egg for a larger goal, such as a downpayment on a house. It isn’t for everyone, but for those who make it work, it’s a fast way to increase income over a short period of time.
AFI’s Motorhome and Travel Trailer Insurance
Why should you consider this type of insurance? The professionals at AFI want you to know that most motorhomes are not covered under a normal auto insurance policy. Consider this:
- You keep things in your motorhome and travel trailer that you wouldn't keep in your car such as clothing, jewelry, binoculars, DVD players, laptops, or outdoor gear.
- When you park your motorhome or travel trailer at a campsite, you may be liable for the area around your vehicle. If someone is injured, you may be responsible.
- If your motorhome or travel trailer is damaged while you're traveling, you'll need a place to stay and a way to get there.
Ouch! Can you imagine the thousands of dollars you may be responsible for out of pocket if any one of these situations would arise? When you insure your motorhome or travel trailer on its own policy with AFI, you'll have a wide range of coverage for a wide range of incidents.
Trust Armed Forces Insurance
Designed with the military in mind, AFI proudly supports what’s important to your military family through personal service and competitive rates. Created and led by former military leaders who understand the unique challenges that come with military service, AFI has supported military families for over 130 years. Their coverage options provide peace of mind for active, retired and former military personnel, their families, and civilian Department of Defense employees. For more, please click here.